Subject: RE: [xliff] Re: [xliff-comment] Next steps regarding your very useful XLIFF 2.0 Public Review comments

Jörg,

I'm glad we're heading in the right direction, and I hope the resolution of your open comments continue to please you.

Chet, thanks for the very useful explanation of OASIS policy. I would just echo this sentiment, and add that the TC has explicitly agreed upon the need to do our very best to close with each commenter (in fact Jörg, as you know, several TC members are also active in W3C standards). We will strive for "official" acceptance where possible. And in case where there are conflicts between commenters or contradictions between features, as Chet said, we will be as transparent as possible, and clearly document the cases. You can see we've done this regarding one of your comments on the wiki. You recommended a processing requirement for preserving XML processing instructions and another commenter recommended a contradictory requirement. So the TC voted and the results were documented in the wiki.

I thank you once again, and reiterate our continued transparency and desire to continue our partnership with the XLIFF community.

________________________________
From: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org [xliff@lists.oasis-open.org] on behalf of Chet Ensign [chet.ensign@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 6:29 AM
To: joerg@bioloom.de
Cc: Schnabel, Bryan S; xliff@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Jörg,

I'm Chet Ensign, the director of standards development at OASIS. I see your question to Bryan and thought I would jump in with the answer.

You asked: "How is the OASIS process with resolving comments, e.g. do you need my "official" acceptance of the proposed solution(s), which would be similar to the W3C process?"

At OASIS, we ensure that there is transparency and visibility into the work of Technical Committees so that stakeholders in the broader marketplace can make their own decisions about the quality of the work. It is up to each Technical Committee to decide whether and how to act on comments received. TCs are required to acknowledge comments received, to track them along with their decision on how to resolve them, and to post these comment resolution logs at specific stages of the process so that those providing comments can see what the TC chose to do. There is no requirement that a TC obtain acceptance of a proposed solution.

You can find this explained in more detail in "Handling the comments received during a public review" (https://www.oasis-open.org/resources/tcadmin/handling-the-comments-received-during-a-public-review). Of course, TCs like XLIFF that care about the acceptance and adoption of their work go beyond this to engage with those who take the time to provide thoughtful feedback and seek the best possible solution.

Thanks for providing your input to the XLIFF & let me know if you have any questions on this. I'm happy to go into more detail.

Best regards,

/chet