Subject: RE: [xliff] Call for dissent csprd01 comments 033, 057, and 061 - Validation Module design changes proposal.

Hi David, I think maybe the use of the word “placeholder” is confusing. We have a validation internally that uses this moniker and I understand it overlaps with inline tag terminology. This rule is simply to enforce that a substring appears both in source and target the same amount of times. For example:

<source>Microsoft is a company. Microsoft provides services for its customers.</source>

<target>Microsoft ist ein Unternehmen. Microsoft bietet Dienstleistungen für seine Kunden.</source>

<rule placeholder=”Microsoft”>

This would validate that Microsoft appears in both source and target the same number of times. Using the “placeholder” moniker was an attempt to use something shorter than “isPresentInSourceAndTarget” but I am open to other suggestions on what to call this rule.

Thanks,

Ryan

From: Dr. David Filip [mailto:David.Filip@ul.ie]
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 2:00 AM
To: Ryan King
Cc: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org; Kevin O'Donnell; Uwe Stahlschmidt; Alan Michael

Ryan, not sure about the new mechanism @placeholder, what is the use case and motivation for having it, it seems rather ad hoc..

What if you need to clone a placeholder, isn't this handled in core inlines?

Cheers

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 7:47 AM, Ryan King <ryanki@microsoft.com> wrote:

In an effort to simplify and clarify the Validation Module, we would like to propose the following changes in response to csprd01 comments 033, 057, and 061. This table summarizes the changes that will need to be made to the module’s attributes that signify “rules”.

Current

Proposal

Rule Processing Requirements

noLoc="World"

isPresent="World"

World is found in the target text at least once.

occurences="(World)(1)"

isPresent="World" occurs="1"

World is found in the target text exactly once. Value of occurs can be 1 or greater.

mustLoc="World"

isNotPresent="World"

World is not found in the target text.

mustLoc="(World)(Welt)"

isNotPresent="World"
isPresent="Welt"

World is not found in the target text.
Welt is found in the target text at least once.

occurences="(&#160;&#160;)(0)"

isNotPresent="&#160;&#160;"

Two consecutive non-breaking spaces are not found in the target text.

Placeholder="World"

World is found in both source and target text the same number of times.

startsWith="(”

startsWith="(”

Target text starts with "(" and may or may not exists in source text for the rule to be valid based on the following attributes: exisitsInSource="yes" or exisitsInSource="no".

endsWith=")"

endsWith=")"

Target text ends with "(" and may or may not exists in source text for the rule to be valid based on the following attributes: exisitsInSource="yes" or exisitsInSource="no".

Additionally, the following changes to processing requirements:

·        I.1.2.3 – Exactly one of the following attributes:

·         isPresent

·        isNotPresent

·        Placeholder

·        stsrtsWith

·        endsWith

·        or a custom rule defined by elements from any namespace

must be used in any one <rule> element.

And a change to the method of escaping quotes: …double quotation mark " (U+0022) must be escaped by using the predefined XML entity &#34; and single quotation mark ‘ (U+0027) by using the predefined XML entity &#39;

If anybody has suggestions or objections to these changes, please let me know by 22 July. Otherwise, I will consider these issues resolved, and update the spec.

Thanks,

Ryan