Subject: RE: a future use for XLIFF?

Thanks for sharing Bryan. I think it’s definitely a good use case for XLIFF. I’ve seen similar examples where “dev English” was ‘localized’ into “content writer English” using proto-localization techniques.

From: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:xliff@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Schnabel, Bryan S
Sent: Thursday, September 5, 2013 2:54 PM
To: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [xliff] a future use for XLIFF?

Interesting thing happened at the office today . . .

One of my colleagues approached me with a problem (I’ll paraphrase). “I need to send a file to somebody who wants to suggest editorial changes to a few of our web pages. Can we export our web pages to word processor file, spreadsheet, or some simple XML format?”

Since we use a Web CMS, and do not have static pages, there really was no easy way I could think of. Doing a view source, then saving to file, then opening with a word processor resulted in way too much clutter.

So just for the fun of it, I used our Drupal XLIFF module and exported a few XLIFF files, and sent them.

My colleague was delighted. “What a wonderful format! We can leave the source text intact, and enter our suggestions in the target field! Perfect!”

Could this be a future XLIFF 2.X module someday? XLIFF without the L?