Subject: RE: [xliff] <mrk> attributes validation

Hi Yves,

The specific answer, re: the <mrk> element, is that we can’t enforce conditionally-required attributes through schema validation. If the attribute is defined as optional, but it is deemed to be required for a particular usage, we have no way to enforce that through the schema.

The alternative approach would have been to create separate elements, each with attributes set to required or optional according to the usage – multiplying the complexity. Even with that approach, I believe there are other processing requirements throughout the spec that could not be checked through schema validation.

So the general answer is that an additional tool will be needed to supplement schema validation for evaluating whether an XLIFF file fully conforms to the specification. At the moment, that tool doesn’t exist.

Regards,

Tom

From: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:xliff@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Yves Savourel
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2013 10:23 PM
To: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [xliff] <mrk> attributes validation

Hi Tom, all,

The <mrk> element has several attributes that are optional or required depending on the type.

Does the schema validates those combinations? I recall that we had some discussions about doing that with the version 2.0 of XML Schema.

The more general question is: if we cannot validate everything with the schemas, how do we validate XLIFF 2.0 documents?