Subject: Re: [xliff] IDs - Optional attributes (E)

Hello Yves, inline

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 6:49 PM, Yves Savourel <ysavourel@enlaso.com> wrote:
Hi David, all,

> *E)*
> Value of optional id attributes is questionable
> *Proposed change:*
> Depending on the resolution of D above, make all ids required.
> Complementary kill ids where they seem to be optional.

To which comment this major change would corresponds too?

Comment 121 (not listed in your enumeration) proposes this change for <segment> id only.
121 is only about typos, required id for segment is requested in #111
I believe that all of these should have either required id or no id at all. It is true that the comment 111 only requests required ids on segments, another comment in csprd01 requested required ids on match.
This is becuase these comments were coming mitivated by a particular implementation issue.
Yet I think that we can generalized that the value of optional ids is dubious..
If the resolution for the issue *D* decides that unit ids need to be unique within file and not parent, than eventually group ids could become optional..

I think you also forgot to list the arguments supporting the statement "Value of optional id attributes is questionable".
I belive that it is questionable becuase you cannot rely on the id being there, so that you cannot count on referencing ids as a general implementation principle, referncing then seems only possible locally and not in e.g. DB representations..
Could you
elaborate and give examples?