Subject: Re: [xliff] subState when joining segments

Hello Yves,

I believe that it is up to the owner of the subState state machine to define behavior on resegmentation in addition to the state behavior on resegmentation.

IMHO the first case you list is an update that is covered by the PRs tying state and subState, if you do not know to what subState is to be updated you simply drop it.

In the other case, I believe it should be dropped as well, unless you know the privately defined behavior, this probably needs a clarifying note.
The baseline is that the core should not even attempt to prescribe handling of private sub* values, neither here nor anywhere else in the spec.

Cheers