Subject: Re: [xliff] IDs - uniquness per type of element (C)

Since there was no dissent on this one since Oct 22, I assume that this can be implemented

http://www.cngl.ie/profile/?i=452
mailto: david.filip@ul.ie

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 6:42 PM, Yves Savourel <ysavourel@enlaso.com> wrote:
Hi David, all,

> *C)*
> Although this is not explicitly stated anywhere in the spec it
> is clear from examples etc. that ids are expected to be unique only
> for certain elements within the given scope.
> For example, there is a tacit assumption that there can be a marker
> AND a segment with id="1" within the same <unit>
>
> Possible solutions:
> 1. Kill this silent assumption and make clear that ids MUST be really
> unique within the given scope disregarding on what element they
> are specified.
> This would not mean a big implementation burden. In the above example
> the segment could be id="s1" and the marker be id="m1". Any ref within the
> scope would be able to simply point like this ref="#s1" or ref="#m1" w/o
> the need to specify ref type or introducing a custom type for pointing
> within a specific element subscope.
> Pros: Makes addresability easier. refs within scope can be of the type
> URI or IRI w/o further issues
> Cons: This goes against a long standing assumption/tribal knowledge that
> is the harder to kill because it was never explicitly stated
> *Proposed solution: 1.*

+1 to option #1.

Note that the matches modules may add inline codes and annotation within the same <unit>. But this is out of the scope of the core
constraints. (And I don't think we need to have a note about that).