Subject: Re: [xliff] IDs - uniquness per type of element (C)

I did not hear back on this one for 3 days now, so I am going to implement if I do not hear dissent by Monday
Cheers

http://www.cngl.ie/profile/?i=452
mailto: david.filip@ul.ie

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 6:39 PM, Dr. David Filip <David.Filip@ul.ie> wrote:
Thanks Yves,

I think that we did not resolve how spans will be reference back from translation candidates module, but this is actually a separate issue..

We kind of agreed that id on both segment and ignorable are OK to stay optional rather than required.

We also agreed that the algorithm to determine translatability state will be simpler if translate is killed on segment.

As I see, it it is natural that all inlines (codes and annotations) have required ids or refs having a single uniqueness constraint within unit.

Now both markers and segments are slightly different ways how to delimit spans in the whole unit.
Since both have the same scope I think there is no harm in their being unique also against each other, disregarding if this property is currently used by a core or module mechanism or not. I simply believe that it is a cleaner design.

Based on all the discussions we had in this list and in the teleconefernce conference, it seems clear to me that id uniqueness has only two main scopes in XLIFF 2.0, this is file and unit (ignoring data for now). I think that is natural and better for general referencability if core ids are truly unique within these two scopes.

optional ids on groups must not compete with required ids on units
and
optional ids on segments and ignorables must not compete with required ids on inlines.

I think it is not an unreasonable burden on Writers who need to add those optional ids, eventually on Extractors who would use them upfront..

Rgds