Subject: Re: [xliff] proposed solutions for CSPRD 138 (Unique Particle Attribution)

Thanks, Tom, for putting the options so clearly in front of us, as much as I'd think that the Relax NG solution would be theoretically the best one.
I think there are other reasons than just time pressure to stick to schema, such as wider industry adoption.

So I'd perefer and I think the TC seemed to be inclined to the solution where wildcards are separated from modules by required core elements.

I think that you showed well that it is possible when describing the 2) option below, with modules being a single choice group w/o specified order, unlike the fixed order given now.
More detail inline below..

Unless people object, I'd like to ask you to regroup elements in spec and schema as per option 2) as specified below, so that this solution is ready in spec and schema for approval by December.

     (2) Rearrange elements so that at least one required element occurs between the module elements and the wild-card.

Any required element between the module elements and the wild-card resolves the ambiguity. The schema token for a module element in an XLIFF document can be determined unambiguously based on whether it occurs before or after the required element.

<unit>:

The only required token is the <segment> or <ignorable> choice. This would be moved to precede the wild-card.

We may also want to move <notes> and <originalData> to follow the choice group, as they do now.

I agree move them together, so that they stay in the same relative position.

<group>:

The only required token is the <unit> or <group> choice. This would be moved to precede the wild-card.

We may also want to move <notes> to follow the choice group, as it does now.

I agree move them together, so that they stay in the same relative position

<mtc:match>:

Both <source> and <target> are required, and either could be placed between <mda:metadata> and the wild-card. Presumably we'd want to keep these two elements together.

I agree move them together, so that they stay in the same relative position

In each case, the optional elements from XLIFF modules would precede core elements, possibly being the first allowed elements in each of the affected contexts.

Tom Comerford
tom@supratext.com

+1 856 787 9090

Supratext LLC