Subject: Re: [xliff] Modules attributes in ec vs em

Yves, all

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 3:51 AM, Yves Savourel <ysavourel@enlaso.com> wrote:
Hi David, all,

> But there is no way to convert a <pc> into sc and ec with isolated.
> The resulting pair will be always in the same unit

I'm not so sure we can be so absolute.
A tool could for example use a fragment of a translated content to create a match entry for another one and create an isolated <ec>
in the process.
This can happen only in matches module, so we can say that in matches module the data can be dropped, and say so in the matches module
And I'm pretty sure tools and people will find other creative ways to end up with isolated codes.
In this case and in the case of joining multiple file elements that were not extracted together, and in any other case we cannot possibly handle all what can be done to the files if people do not stick to the allowed transformations specified

regrouping units or files are not allowed transformations, whereas re-segmenting is

and it is out of scope to say what happens if people decide to do not allowed transformations. If they decide to do it let them do it privately and no one cares if they undo it before sending the payload further or back.

Currently he tools handle such situation for the modules/extensions attributes they don't support as they wish.
And maybe that's good enough.
I agree there must be summary PRs for handling module attributes on codes and module and extended attributes on markers.
I just do not agree that these should cover not allowed operations such as making an isolated code out of a <pc>, changing file, group and unit structure etc.
If we describe such handling it will appear lenient and will encourage the illegal behavior

BTW, if FS can be only on isolated <ec> like the SLR attributes, maybe we need to say so it the specification.
I agree