Subject: Re: [xliff] Segmentation Modifications

Stephen, Yves, Fredrik, all,

I was looking up the bidi algorithm UAX#9, and I am not sure if we should be using the explicit directionality control characters. The UAX#9 itself quotes UTR#20, http://www.w3.org/TR/unicode-xml/ which discourages the use of control characters in markup environment.

I know that XLIFF 1.2 did not have anything else, but why not have a full markup solution this time round..

I wonder if we should rather use directionality annotations based on markers, or dedicated directionality elements.

Another related issue is that both Unicode 6.3 and HTML 5 now allow for heuristic determination of the directionality by the first strong character, and there might be cases where this cannot be resolved into an explicit directionality becuase of varaibales..

So whether we use control characters or if we go for marker based directionality markup or even for dedicated directionality elements similar to HTML bdi, we should have a value equivalent to FSI and bdi="auto"

Rgds

http://www.cngl.ie/profile/?i=452
mailto: david.filip@ul.ie