Subject: RE: [xliff] Fragment Identification

Here’s a real world example that I have not seen represented in this discussion so far. It may be pertinent, or it may not. If it is the later, please disregard.

My experience with XLIFF, FWIW, is as a buyer of translations. The sources of the XLIFF files I send out for translation are mainly:

- Web CMS (Drupal source where each discrete node is a <file>)

- Web CMS (Drupal source where each PO file is a <file>)

- Component CMS (DITA files where each topic is a <file>)

- Test and Measurement Equipment (where each discrete instrument’s UI code is an <xliff>)

- Test and Measurement Equipment (where each discrete instrument’s firmware code is a <file>)

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I wrote each use case’s extractor/merger code at different points in time, and I’ve use minimalist (using a skeleton) and maximalist (relying on <group>) architecture as it suited me. But the same LPSs leverage and translate all forms.

We have very strict rules about the state of the translated XLIFF that comes back to us from our LSPs. In short, they must have identical structure, down to the <file>, <group>, <trans-unit>, <source>, and <target> level. My merge code simply cannot tolerate or reconcile diversions. We do allow adding, removing, or reordering inline elements.

So finally to my point. Does my story have bearing on this discussion? If so, should XLIFF be able to support my local rule set with my LSP?

If the answer to each is yes, then I tend to think that the spec should not prohibit me from setting up a set of local rules with my LSP as I’ve described. But I do not feel prescribing the manner in which my rules are set up needs to be explicitly part of the spec.

FWIW,

Bryan