Subject: Call for dissent on BIDi solution Re: [xliff] bidi

Thanks, Yves,

we had not managed to resolve this formally before we lost quorum.
However, everyone seemed OK with the following:

1) Introduce the third value "auto" in our markup solution for directionality and make "auto" the default.
"auto" sets directionality heuristically, i.e. based on the first strongly directional character within its scope

This will make re-segmentation PR simpler and will less likely lead to usage of directional controls.

3) Inline the agents will be required to have full UAX#9 support [we alreadu have UAX#9 as a normative reference, we just update to the 6.3 edition with the isolates]
That is we do not prohibit using any legal characters including the directionality controls

We might add some best prectice examples for Extractors that would ideally prevent usage of the control characters.

Note that 2) above will make usage of directionality controls less likely, becuase extractors will likely use inline dirs to govern sub-unit flows

I will consider this approved by consensus, unless I hear dissent by the end of this week

Best regards