Subject: Re: [xliff] RE: Call for dissent on BIDi solution Re: [xliff] bidi

Thanks for explaining, Fredrik

Re ph, what I meant was addressed by Yves, i.e. encoding the directionality of the placeholder content (that is not part of the extracted translatable content)  rather than its vicinity. I agree this can be handled with data if needed.

Now regarding <ec>

I understand what you say about decreasing the stack level rather than increasing..
But I think that is the matter of the UAX#9 and not of XLIFF
We can of course include an informative warning that this is how the dir should work on <ec> if UAX#9 is to be implemented properly.
But we do not say anything about increasing stack level on <pc> or <sc> either, we are just making a normative reference to UAX#9.
Everything considered, I believe that the </ec> expressivity should not be hindered in cases when it is isolated and the inline metadata solution should be as consistent as possible, we do allow fs and slr on isolated <ec> after all..

Rgds

http://www.cngl.ie/profile/?i=452
mailto: david.filip@ul.ie