Subject: Re: [xliff] RE: Call for dissent on BIDi solution Re: [xliff] bidi

Thanks, Yves,

it is indeed awkward describing the grand-child inheritance, I thought my wording was fine, nevertheless

inherited from the parent <pc> element. In case the inline element is a child of a <source> element, the default value is inherited
from the srcDir value of the enclosing <unit> element. In case the inline element is a child of a <target> element, the default value
is inherited from the trgDir value of the enclosing parent <unit> element.

Please note that this section is just a summary of normative provisions elsewehere in the spec (on the elements and attributes in question) except for the normative reference to UAX# and the mapping of XLIFF to UAX#9 provisions

Notably the dir attribute description

dir
Directionality - indicates the directionality of content.
Value description: ltr (Left-To-Right), rtl (Right-To-Left), or auto (determined heuristically, based on the first strong directional character in scope, see [UAX #9]).
Default value: default values for this attribute depend on the element in which it is used:
The value of the srcDir attribute of the <unit> element, in which the elements are located.
The value of the trgDir attribute of the <unit> element, in which the elements are located.
The value of the dir attribute of the parent <pc> element.
When used in <data>:
The value auto.

I agree that we should say as little as possible, and I think that the proposed section says just the necessary bare minimum.

Review by a BiDi expert obviously most welcome

I am going to commit this resulting version, and happy to implement improvements if these are suggested by the next meeting

Best regards

http://www.cngl.ie/profile/?i=452
mailto: david.filip@ul.ie