Subject: Fw: Please find a pdf attached.

FYI. I received this by the way of Unicode Consortium recently. Feel free to agree or disagree with my resposne.

I do have a question on something he mentioned. I have NOT seen any production usage of pictograph (or emoji) symbols coming through our translation pipeline at all. In the context of text to speech for the purpose of translation/localization, what is the common practice? It is not an XLIFF question per se...

----- Forwarded by Helena S Chapman/San Jose/IBM on 04/30/2014 12:07 PM -----

From:        Helena S Chapman/San Jose/IBM
To:        William_J_G Overington <wjgo_10009@btinternet.com>
Cc:        "uli@unicode.org" <uli@unicode.org>
Date:        04/30/2014 12:06 PM
Subject:        Re: Please find a pdf attached.

William. If you look at XLIFF in details, you might find that though it comes with lots of bells and whistles, the core module itself is not as overwhelming as you expect. People always have the option to pick and choose additional extensions including namespaced custom extensions.

I'd like to also learn what real life use case exists today for readouts.dat outside of XLIFF? You mentioned transform from readouts.dat to XLIFF can happen. I agree and that's the beauty of XLIFF where a universally, well informed localization enthusiasts do use it for interchange purposes. Some tooling might even use it as an internal processing format today though that was not the original intent. So, unless there is a very good business reason we need something like readouts.dat to exist, my recommendation at this point is to preserve it for organization proprietary processing purpose only.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Helena Shih Chapman
Globalization Technologies and Architecture
+1-720-396-6323 or T/L 938-6323
Waltham, Massachusetts