Subject: Re: [xliff] possible issue with URN prefixes used to define acceptable namespaces in XLIFF 2.1

Thanks, Yves, more inline..

This would allow only ITS processor that support external rules to work with the file. (But it's already the case for the data categories using the supplemental its-xliff namespace anyway).

We would simply define a rules file with all the rules mapping the XLIFF ITS module to ITS.
A pure ITS processor would just use that file.

Wouldn't it be possible to use the rules element at the file level? to avoid referencing an external rules file?

The XLIFF processors implementing the ITS module would not need to use it.

Fredrik suggestion has several advantages:

- It decouple ITS and XLIFF namespaces

Not sure if this is an advantage..
- We would need only a single namespace for the module (doing the job for both the ITS one and the supplemental one)

I think it could be useful to keep them apart to be clear on what a exists locally in generic ITS and what had to be "made up" for XLIFF puposes. I guess could be useful for extractor/merger implementers.
- It would allow both namespaces to evolve (be updated) separately if needed

I think that this is the only disadvantage of this solution: supporting the namespaces in two separate locations, under separate authorities, is error prone and an opportunity for divergence..

Neither OASIS nor the W3C have to agree with anything here: it's just the XLIFF TC creating a new module and using ITS the way it's used for many other formats: through mapping.

I like that aspect, i.e. that in this case everything is clearly in OASIS XLIFF TC jurisdiction

Cheers