Subject: Re: [xliff] ITS scope with sm/em

I agree with Fredrik. Processing of overlapping hierarchies is a task that cannot be solved in general and discarding non-hierarchical structures is a good strategy for XML / HTML content.

If people don’t want to specify an XSLT conversion we could also define the conversion process in an algorithmic way like this:

0) set current content to whole content to be processed.
1) is there an s tag in current content?
	Then output text before s tag and do 2)
	else just output all text in current content.
2) has the s tag an e tag with corresponding id?
	Then create a mrk node
	set the content between s and e to new current content
	do 1)
else discard s and go to 1)
3) output rest of text

and say: you can implement this as XSLT (example given) or in different programing languages. That would have the benefit to keep the door open to future non XML, API focsued XLIFF.

- Felix