Subject: RE: [xliff] Quick question on trgLang

Hi Ryan,

My reading is the same as your first one: that trgLang is optional except when there is one or more <target> in the document.

From: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:xliff@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Ryan King
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2014 3:29 PM
To: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [xliff] Quick question on trgLang

Hi all,

As we’ve started implementing the standard, there are, of course, differing interpretations of some of the wording in the spec. Can the TC as a group please help me understand the following:

4.2.2.1 xliff

Constraints

Does this constraint mean:

Or does it mean:

For example, is this legal?

<xliff version=”2.0” srcLang=”en-us” trgLang=”de-de”>

   <unit id=”1”>
      <segment id=”1”>Hello World</segment>
   </unit>

I think it is, but want to be sure I am reading this correctly. In a more general question, is there a reason why the verbiage “if and only if” is used throughout the spec and not just “if”?

Thanks,
Ryan