Subject: RE: [xliff] @disabled in Validation Module. Fix example. Add constraint?

I cannot imagine this use case.

Could you please sketch a use case where @disable at the <file> level has meaning?

Sorry to be so thick.

-----Original Message-----
From: Yves Savourel [mailto:ysavourel@enlaso.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2014 5:38 PM
To: Schnabel, Bryan S; xliff@lists.oasis-open.org

I think the text that truly defines what the attributes does is:

"This rule attribute determines whether a rule MUST or MUST NOT be applied within the scope of its enclosing element."

It doesn't exclude <file> as an enclosing element.

Then we have "For example, a rule defined at the <file> level can be disabled at the <unit> level." Which provides an example of usage.

The text "This attribute is provided to allow for overriding execution of rules set at higher levels" seems to be a) redundant and
b) missing a "for example". We could delete it without changing any expected behavior since it seems to cause confusion.

I would be on favor to not add new constraints because using disabled='yes' at the <file> level is a perfectly fine use case: you can need to temporarily disable rules for examples.