Subject: RE: [xliff] Fwd: slides for Melby presentation today at FEISGILTT

Hi all,

I couldn’t attend this interesting presentation, but now looking at the example files, and in the spirit of not applying Postel's Law (the new policy being "Don't go Postel, go postal!"), here are a few errors:

-- The attributes in the glossary elements must not be prefixed. In <gls:glossEntry ref="..."> and <gls:glossEntry gls:ref="..."> the ref attributes are seen differently by the XML processors.
In XLIFF (and in 99% of the XML applications) you should use un-prefixed attributes so they are seen as belonging to the element where they are declared. Nothing to do with XLIFF: this is XML stuff.
So to be valid all attributes in the glossary elements must be un-prefixed.

-- The reference in <gls:translation ref="#m2" > points to nothing. The ref value is an IRI, so it must use the fragment identifier mechanism. To point to the <mrk id="m2"> that is in the target, you must use ref="#t=m2".
Not Soroush's fault: he just used the incorrect example we have in the specification and that (I think) we already have taken steps to fix.

The conclusion: it's always a good idea to validate an example :)
(That goes for the specification too)

One additional thought: In real life, it's likely that at first the source will be copied into the target and therefore we would have no target-specific marker m2, but instead an m1 in the target too (which would also help in linking the source term and its translation without using the glossary module).
I think it would be perfectly fine to have:

    <unit id="1">
        <gls:glossary>
            <gls:glossEntry ref="#m1">
                <gls:term source="publicTermbase">TAB key</gls:term>
                <gls:translation id="1" source="myTermbase">Tabstopptaste
                </gls:translation>
                <gls:translation source="myTermbase">TAB-TASTE
                </gls:translation>
                <gls:definition source="publicTermbase">A keyboard key that is
                    traditionally used to insert tab characters into a document.
                </gls:definition>
            </gls:glossEntry>
        </gls:glossary>
        <segment>