Subject: RE: [xliff] ITS IG ACTION-56: Do write up of processing its+xliff files

Hi Felix,

> to get this going I looked at the archives on what we discussed.
> One question I have: in the wiki we say there are three types of
> processors that use the information
>
> . An XLIFF Extractor aware of both ITS and the ITS module for any
>   data coming from the original source document.
> . An XLIFF Modifier aware of the ITS Module for data generated
>   during the life time of the XLIFF document.
> . An XLIFF Merger aware of both the ITS Module and the ITS syntax if
> any of that data is merged back into the translated document.
>
> Does the information need to be written differently for these or in
> general?

I think it depends on each the data category:

- Always: The description of how the data category is coded in the ITS module (or mapped to other core/modules)

- The description of how to map existing annotations to XLIFF (if it's not obvious, for example: mention termInfoPoint for the value
attribute in a term annotation).

- The description of how to map the XLIFF data into the original document (if it's not obvious, for example the ref/value use case)

> About the information itself, I think we have two aspects:
>
> 1) re-writing selected ITS attributes into the oasis namespace,
> with prefix "itsm" as a good practice.
>
> 2) The handling of overlap as described in this thread
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its-ig/2014Oct/0011.html

I think this second part should have its own sub-section because a) it applies to pretty much all data categories and b) it doesn't
concern XLIFF module processors per say: it's a 'pure-ITS' issue.

We could:

- describe the issue
- provide the algorithm to do the transformation

- if possible provide the XSLT to do the transformation? (maybe as a separate thing)

BTW, I'm not sure following the same outline as the other modules will work well for the ITS module.
As a user I'd like to see a single place to go get the information.
And see it per data category (regardless how it's done: mapped, mixed, using the ITS module)
We would probably also need a section of the itsm:annotarorsRef.