Subject: Re: [xliff] ITS Module implementation requirements

Hi Yves and all,

For ITS we decided to allow for picking just one data category (global or local and XML or HTML content) since we hoped (and still hope, I think) that this flexibility will help adoption. We then created conformance requirements so that users know what to expect.

Using ITS in XLIFF, a user may be turned away by too complex questions to answer. b) sounds like such a complex question.

Maybe the easiest approach from a users point of view is to describe in the ITS module: this is what you need to implement for using ITS in any XLIFF module (e.g. the namespace conversion, the handling of overlap and tools annotation), and then write in the XLIFF modules what that means, with back links from the modules to the ITS module.

In that way, ITS in XLFIFF would not be formulated along all ITS data categories. But that is OK IMO - the goal of this mapping as I understand it is to make the live of XLIFF users easier by showing them how to deploy ITS in XLIFF. So taking a perspective from the XLIFF modules would help that.

If changing text in the XLIFF module section is not an option, then we could structure the ITS module section in the following way: have a subsection for each XLIFF module and write what implementers of that module need to do if they implement ITS.

I am thinking loud here and I realize that this is probably not along the lines we have worked so far and also not the approach that David took for editing the ITS module section. But for the XLIFF+ITS users it may be the easiest way to understand the role of ITS in XLIFF, and also for answering questions like b).

For a) I would then say: if an implementer implements an XLIFF module he should make clear what ITS data categories that are applicable in that module are being implemented. If there are interdependencies between modules, the ITS data categories are then aligned with these.

Best,

Felix