Subject: Re: [xliff] Preserve Space / Language Info at the inline level

Fredrik, thanks for this detailed explanation.

IMHO, we cannot change the core and that is baseline for the following..

1) The point about prettyprinting is well made, still it does not warrant a core change AFAIK.
We can make a Warning, in which we explain that generic XML processors will not uderstand inline XLIFF/ITS notations for whitespace handling, so if people want to make their XLIFF files safe for these, they should make the set or inherited value of xml:space on <source> and <target> "preserve"

That should do the trick, no matter what the other decisions under 2)

2) I now understand what you mean by an ITS dependency.
IMHO this low risk. Same as the W3C ITS our conformance clause for the module should say that it is enough to support one data category. [Similarly slr says it is enough to support just the predefined profiles] This category can as well be the Preserve Space category..

This said, ITS categories can be thematically grouped and modules made smaller. This has been done informatively to ease adoption, as 20 categories is a lot..

Or we can decide to make a module for inline handling of xml namespace attributes. This would have its own namespace and the ITS mapping would be using it for expressing the Preserve Space and Language information categories.
Possible names of the module could be:
Inline Handling of Space and Language
OR
Core Supplement [;-)]

Finally,
It also shows there is value in the Preserve Space strategies using core only means.
Hiding the whitesspaces to be preserved in the original data where xml:space is restricted to preserve seems the only fully expressive and fool proof way..

Cheers

OASIS XLIFF TC Secretary, Editor, and Liaison Officer
LRC | CNGL | CSIS