Subject: RE: [xliff] XLIFF data representation in JSON

Thanks for the answer Chet.

Bryan, David: Then we should probably focus on 2.1.

We can re-visit this later.

From: Chet Ensign [mailto:chet.ensign@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 8:45 PM
To: Schnabel, Bryan S
Cc: Yves Savourel; XLIFF Main List

Bryan, I read through the charter more closely. On closer reading, as currently written, your charter focuses specifically on normative specification _expression_ in XML. The Statement of Purpose begins: "The purpose of the OASIS XLIFF TC is to define, >>> through extensible XML vocabularies...<<< " and the Deliverables section only lists "XLIFF 2.0 Core XML schema and schemas for modules included in the specification" as a TC output. In addition, the Scope section doesn't mention anything about an XLIFF object model or anything else to suggest that the TC is working on a spec that can be expressed in different syntaxes.

So I think that in order to define an XLIFF object model and then produce a JSON serialization of it - or any other generalization/instantiation work - the TC should either recharter or start a new TC. I don't see any way to read the current charter and derive from it anything other than the XML _expression_.

I can see that it is indeed an important topic and I'm happy to help you figure out the best way to proceed. Rechartering could be done in a way that is minimally disruptive and is probably the most logical course. Happy to talk further about the pros and cons.

Best,

/chet