Subject: Inline attributes and canCopy

Hi TC, we’ve run into a dilemma and require some expert guidance. The XLIFF 2.0 spec says this about Id:

o    The inline elements enclosed by a <target> element MUST use the duplicate id values of their corresponding inline elements enclosed within the sibling <source> element if and only if those corresponding elements exist.

o    Except for the above exception, the value MUST be unique among all of the above within the enclosing <unit> element.

So, when an inline element is copied, I might get this example from the spec:

<unit id="1">

<segment>

  </target>

</segment>

</unit>

In order for this to meet the above constraint, the intended meaning is probably something like:

And if that is true, when we validate the constraint to make sure the *original* source and target inline element ids match, how do we know which one is the original one if copyOf is not required and they can be reordered? If I just rely on making sure at least one of the Ids match regardless of position, what happens if I deleted the original elements in <target> and add back in two new ones? Do I have to make sure at least one of the elements has an id that matches? It seems like a lot of processing just satisfy the constraint.

What is the logical reason for this constraint?

Thanks,

Ryan