Subject: Re: [xliff] RE: XLIFF 2.1 release cadence proposal

I think in general we should aim 12 months for a cycle..
It would be difficult to plan for year fractions, we basically need to initiate requirements gathering at Symposia that cannot happen more than once yearly.

I tend to think that the dot releases should be calendar driven.
But this cannot be taken ad absurdum, we have currently two approved features and neither of them can be released incomplete.
Anyways, if for some reason either of the approved features got stuck, I'd support releasing 2.1 as soon as the not-stuck feature is completed, as both of the currently added features are big enough to warrant a new release.

Another consideration is that work on n+1 can start as soon as n is technically stable not waiting for OASIS red tape to wind up for n.
Also we can skip a year if we fail to collect enough feature requests or if n proves to be heavier than expected.
But I wouldn't go for 16 or 18 months as the baseline..

Cheers

OASIS XLIFF TC Secretary, Editor, and Liaison Officer
LRC | CNGL | CSIS