Subject: RE: [xliff] RE: [QUAR] RE: [xliff] RE: Inline attributes and canCopy

Hi Yves, all,

Thanks Yves, for the conversation. So, if there are matching IDs between source and target inline codes, then the type of code must match. This makes sense and is something that can be easily validated. We are in agreement then on this constraint. However, I think it would create less confusion for other implementers if the meaning of correspondence was clarified in the spec to reflect this.

Thanks,

Ryan

From: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:xliff@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Yves Savourel
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2015 1:08 AM
To: XLIFF Main List

Hi Ryan, all,

I guess it is like the translation itself: The specification says the <target> contains the translated text of the <source>, but there is no real way to valid this. Those inline codes are the same: If they have the same ID we can at least verify they are also of the same kind (spanning/placeholder) and that is it: that is what define them as ‘corresponding’.

As for the text “The inline elements enclosed by a <target> element MUST use the duplicate id values of their corresponding inline elements enclosed within the sibling <source> element if and only if those corresponding elements exist.” It just says that an ID value can be duplicated in the source and target only when the two codes are corresponding codes.

There is probably a better way to express that.

But at least it says that if a code has an ID value that does not exists in the source it is not a “corresponding code”, and therefore it’s an added one.