Subject: RE: [xliff] Inline codes in Change Tracking

Hi Fredrik, all,

Good point indeed on the danger of id and segments.

So, the idea is then to use appliesTo="source" or "target" (and property="content") and for those special cases store the changes
ignoring the segments.

Or, second solution: to set an mrk in the content and again for that special case use "source" and "target" with ref set to the id
of the mrk. Do we need to have a type value defined for the second option (like mtc:match is defined for the translation
candidates)?

Both options behavior would be quite different from the behavior for a note for example. So, the specification needs to be very
clear about how to do this (and well exemplified).
The other question then is how Change Tracking supports tracking the changes in segmentation if someone wants to do so?

A third possible option would be to always store the entire content (without the segment?) of source or target in <item> (still
saying that "content" for "source" and "target" mean the whole thing.

That last option may allow the tracking of segments too.
The drawback is the size. But overall it may be safer than with mrk or segments.

From: Estreen, Fredrik [mailto:Fredrik.Estreen@lionbridge.com]
Sent: Monday, December 7, 2015 3:06 AM
To: Yves Savourel <ysavourel@enlaso.com>; 'XLIFF Main List' <xliff@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hi Yves, All,

I think that using references to segment "id"s are a bad practice unless you also disallow segmentation changes for the unit. If the
unit is re-segmented or the content re-distributed between existing segments the references will be dangling. In some cases it may
be possible to update the referencing data to match the new segmentation but that is not trivial or probably even wanted or possible
in some cases.

A definition that "source" mean the whole source of the unit and "target" the whole target of the unit would be safe with respect to
segmentation changes. Using <mrk> tags would make sub-unit change tracking of spans safe as well.

I think I raised the danger of having "id" on segments and how it would impact re-segmentation before. In my opinion not having ID's
on segments would be better as it would force all implementations to use schemes that are compatible with segmentation changes.

Regards,
Fredrik Estreen