Subject: RE: [xliff] <sm/> and <em/>

Hi Ryan, apologies, I haven't answered yet.
We discussed this in the last TC and Fredrik took the action item to answer with a spec reference.
In short, the spec says that annotations are either mrk or pairs of sm / em.
Fredrik will provide the reference.
isolated doesn't exist, by design, on sm / em, so really there is no mechanism to make orphaned annotations, and hence no need for an explicit Constraint prohibiting them.

Finally, I want to clarify - and I said the same in the last meeting (not sure if the minutes are out yet) - that it is impossible to change XLIFF 2.0.
The OASIS process has produced XLIFF 2.0, which is now immutable, "set in stone" if you wish. This is true for any OASIS Standard and in fact for any numbered draft of any OASIS standard work product, starting with cs01. Anyways, OASIS Standard is the last state of the OASIS state machine; editorial fixes can be pushed through Errata. But to amend anything you need to "deprecate" the old standard with producing a new standard that replaces and supersedes the older version..
We agreed not to spend time and effort on producing Errata.
Instead, where core seems unclear or open to more than 1 interpretation, we are free (and have agreed) to add more clarity when restating the core in 2.1.
IMHO, we don't need an explicit Constraint saying that orphaned sm / em are invalid.
But at the same time, if the TC agrees that having such an explicit Constraint brings more clarity, I think there is no issue with having it in 2.1. It doesn't constitute a material or logical change compared to what 2.0 core states, IMHO and AFAIK.
Personally, I believe that it would be enough to add a Note and invalid test suite files with orphaned sm and em. BTW, we are free to maintain / amend the 2.0 test suite, as the test suite is not a formal part of the multi-part work product; merely an implementation aid that the TC promised to provide..
I hope this helps
Cheers
dF