Subject: Re: [xliff] preparing csd01/csprd01 - Question where to allow ITSM elements and attributes

Hi David, all,

Am 05.08.2016 um 17:16 schrieb David Filip <david.filip@adaptcentre.ie>:

Hi all,

I have been reviewing, which module elements and attributes are explicitly allowed on core.

This seems in sync for ITSM elements.
The top level ITSM elements that need allowed on core are
<provenanceRecords>
and
<locQualityIssues>

These currently list that they can be used on <unit> and they are also explicitly allowed on <unit> and nowhere else.

I believe there was a discussion why to allow the ITS containers only on unit. It think the main argument is to keep the standoff referencing within a unit, i.e. as close as possible to the inline spans that the annotations touch on.

@Felix, another related issue. What about referencing the external rules file?
Do you perhaps need the referencing attribute allowed on <xliff> for that?

you can have a tool specific mechanism to reference external rules, or a rules element (see below)

Other modules don't have attributes allowed on <xliff> but it could make sense to allow referencing the rules file from the root element for generic ITS processors..
Please let me know which attribute(s) need allowed where for that purpose.

External rules can be linked like this
See example 17 which references external rules avail. in example 16.  That solution needs an ITS rules element. Not sure if this is feasible for XLIFF. So one could stay with the tool specific mechanism to link to external rules.

Best,

Felix

Anyways, I just wanted to confirm with the TC that there is no requirement to explicitly allow ITSM elements and attributes on other core elements..
Please let me know if there is use case that seems to indicate otherwise..

Please note that this doesn't touch on presence of ITSM in modules.
The affected modules should be Translation Candidates, Change Tracking, Size and Length Restriction, and maybe Glossary.. This will be discussed separately.

Cheers

OASIS XLIFF OMOS TC Chair
OASIS XLIFF TC Secretary, Editor, Liaison Officer
Spokes Research Fellow
ADAPT Centre
KDEG, Trinity College Dublin