Subject: Localization Note vs <note>

Hi all,

I'm not quite sure how to map the XLIFF <note> element as the equivalent of the ITS Localization Note data category.

It has also an optional appliesTo attribute that is either 'source' or 'target'.
There is no information about inheritance, which I assume, means there is no inheritance.

So if I have:

<group id='g1'>
 <notes>
  <note id='ng1'>note 1</note>
 </note>
 <unit id='u1'>
  <segment>
   <source>Content</source>
  </segment>
 </unit>
</group>

It means the source object after parsing does not have any associated note.

In ITS 2.0 the Localization Note data category has quite different semantics (https://www.w3.org/TR/its20/#locNote-implementation):
"For elements, the data category information inherits to the textual content of the element, including child elements, but excluding
attributes."

So, if I assume XLIFF <note> is the same as ITS Localization Note: from an ITS viewpoint the code above would result in a note
associated with the source object.

It seems then that depending on how we access the note (as XLIFF Core or through the ITS module), we get a different result. This is
making the implementation *very* difficult.

There is also the matter of the appliesTo. Since ITS Localization Note applies to all children I assume a <note> with
appliesTo='source' on a given unit must not be seen as an ITS Localization Note if the unit has a target element (because then
<note> doesn't applies to all children), but it must been seen as an ITS Localization Note if it does not have a target element
(because then <note> applies to all children)?

Any guidance would be welcome.