Subject: Re: [xliff] Change Tracking 2.1

Yves, all,

working on a possible solution for the revised ctr module.. [will be back with a strawman by Wed worst case, in the meantime you can see the WIP commits]

Now, rediscovering another ctr issue that is perhaps worth addressing at this point.

The issue is that although the module has a reserved fragid prefix ctr, it really cannot be referenced from outside or inside of XLIFF using the XLIFF fragid mechanism, since it has no suitable id or name attribute that could be used as reference according to our prescribed fragid syntax.
<selector>        ::= [<prefix> <prefixSeparator>] <id>
[my proposal to identify the whole module or extension node in case of a missing id was turned down by the TC during the XLIFF 2 reviews and the fragid mechanism cannot be revised now due to our backwards compatibility promise for XLIFF 2.x]
Arguably the module itself doesn't need to be addressable as it has it's own methods for referencing XLIFF core that it tracks. But extensions, either namespace based or mda based might well need to do that, notwithstanding that an external mechanism that wants to use the change track e.g. for reinstating a version or similar would need to do that.
This is also not solvable by extension (an extended id attribute), as we deliberately did not allow referencing of nested extensions or modules, to keep the fragid mechanism simple and away from potentially endless recursion.. The referencable id would simply have to be declared in the ctr module.

At this point, please let me know if there seems to be a requirement to reference the change track data, if positive we should look into having an optional id at some suitable nodes of that module to allow referencing..

Cheers and thanks

OASIS XLIFF OMOS TC Chair
OASIS XLIFF TC Secretary, Editor, Liaison Officer
Spokes Research Fellow
ADAPT Centre
KDEG, Trinity College Dublin
Mobile: +420-777-218-122