Subject: XLIFF-72 - XLIFF Version 2.1 COS01 Public review comment resolution

Hi all, especially Fredrik, Steven, Yves, and other folks with BiDi support experience..

this is to start the TC discussion needed to address the directionality support comment from Mihai Nita.

https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/XLIFF-72

I have been through the references listed in the comment and noted the following:

A/
Mihai mentions that HTML (5.1) had to introduce <bdi> and <bdo> elements to properly address directionality. Nevertheless, the attributes to set directionality remain "ltr", "rtl", and "auto" ("ltr" and "rtl" only for bdo).

I note that the XLIFF 2.0 and XLIFF 2.1 core directionality provision (srcDir/trgDir -> dir including the current values) is fully expressive WRT the mentioned HTML semantic capabilities.

Namely, <bdi> and <bdo> need to be extracted as any other inline codes and their dir values need to be set respectively.
If the dir values of corresponding codes need adjusted for the corresponding target spans depends on trgDir -> dir and translatability of the spans in question. The fully fledged solution SHOULD involve the the ITSM based inline lang attribute but will successfully roundtrip with core only methods.

For A/ I conclude that no action is required within XLIFF Version 2.1 COS01 scope.
@All
Any thoughts?

B/
Further Mihai informs us of the BiDi handling developments in CSS.

For B/ I don't think that this part of a problem that XLIFF Version 2.1 should address..
@All
Any thoughts?

In summary,
although I don't think that we should make any changes to XLIFF Version 2.1 in response to the issue https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/XLIFF-72,

I do believe that there are some actions WRT directionality handling that the TC should take in the near future:
1)
Through our GALA TAPICC Liaison:
Ask TAPICC T 1/ WG 3 to include <bdi> and <bdo> extraction in its XLIFF extraction best practice recommendation.
2)
Include the requirement for directionality rendering within the requested new feature for XLIFF 2.2 the "XLIFF rendering module".
@Bryan, would you please set up out TC wiki XLIFF 2.2 requirements gathering? Ideally by 5th Dec?
If we decide to address rendering for XLIFF 2.2 and I am strongly in favor, then Mihai's comments will be in scope for XLIFF 2.2 and we should indeed follow the BiDi handling developments in CSS and XSLT. The rendering module should probably include at least informational styling resources in the form of xslt and/or CSS artifacts.

Cheers and thanks for your attention

OASIS XLIFF OMOS TC Chair
OASIS XLIFF TC Secretary, Editor, Liaison Officer
Moravia Research Fellow
ADAPT Centre
KDEG, Trinity College Dublin
Mobile: +420-777-218-122