Subject: Meeting minutes

Hello,

Please find below a summary of today’s discussion:

Attendance:  DavidF, Rodolfo, Yoshito, Lucía

Regrets: Bryan.

I. Administration
L. I move to approve 2nd March meeting minutes.
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/202103/msg00001.html

R: I second.

L: Meetings approved.

A. OASIS web site updates - Rodolfo https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/202011/msg00000.html  FAQ Section. Legacy documents. Liaison information (David)

R: The FAQ section needs to be updated. For example, one of the links is pointing to an IBM URL that does not exist anymore. I have the same document in my website I was wondering if I could replace the URL.

L: It is fine with me, the content and the author are the same.

DF: I agree that we need to update it. We should clearly separate FAQ for 1.2 and 2.x versions.

R: With the new website, we cannot update the FAQs ourselves, we need to inform Chet.

Df: It is worthwhile to develop the new content.

Df: On the official TC webpage, we have the new charter on, it is good news.

R: Yes, Chet has updated with the new version.

[DF shows the FAQ]

R: you see that there are many aspects that need to be updated. Like links to LISA that does not exist anymore.

Df: we all agree that the FAQ needs updated. It is annoying that we cannot directly update it.

R: We also have people in the roster that are no longer in their companies.

Df: We can ask the company’s representatives to clean the list of members that are no longer there. For example, Yoshito can ask his company’s representative.

Action Item for Yoshito: contact his contact representative to update the roster.

L: About the webpage, Rodolfo has updated the information about the technical work.

R: There are still some old documents that we are no longer related to the current versions.

L: Can we have them in a “legacy” section?

R: No, we need to follow the template.

L: Ok, so we could actually add an informative note.

L: AI for David to update the Liaison information on the page.

Df: I can also add the TAPICC document XLIFF 2 Extracting and Merging.

II. Technical work

A. Migration guide. Rodolfo.

R: I have started working on it in my local machine. I am doing in DITA.

Df: if we want to do it a TC note, we should do it in one of the official templates.

R: There are templates in DITA, they did the template.

Df: I remember visually different templates so they do not look like the standard template. Let me know when you will upload it to github, and I will let you know if I have any issues with the file.

R: there are some issues I found. When migrating 1.2 to 2.x, we also need to do the opposite. There is one issue there, when taking a unit back to 1.2, there is a mapping problem. In 2.x you can resegment. So you might have different number of segments, and mapping the approve state might be complicated.

Df: I think it is important to have a migration guide. For me it is not really critical to have it two way. You can have some standardised information to migrate to 2.x. We already said that the versions are not back compatible. You need to do some decisions and make compromises. One of the things, for instance, some implementations they are ignoring segmentations and put everything in a translation unit.

R: Yes, I am able to go from 1.2 to 2.x, the problem is coming back. So, if you do not mind, I can add my own solution, because I can use my own code.

Df: I do not think we can give a standardised way of doing it. There is no harm in making a TC note.

R: I understand David, that is why I am asking. If we do not provide the roundtrip the migration guide might not be complete useful.

Df: For me migration is from 1.2 to 2.x. What you are proposing is an extraction-merging formula.

Df: If you call it a migration guide, you can just publish 1.2 to 2.x.

Y: I agree that the migration guide could just inform how to migrate from 1.2 to 2X. You can additionally publish somewhere else the other way.

L: I agree with that, and that will maybe faster to have the first part ready, and it will give us a second publication later.

Df: Yes, I think we can say that the consensus is that the TC mandate is just to make the migration guide from 1.2 to 2.x.

R: Ok.

B. Test suite correction.

L: I shared a document on google sheets with the results of my initial tests. The idea is that it can be used as a starting point to help Rodolfo fixing the issues in the Test suite.

R: I did not have the time to work on it yet.

C. Online Validation Tool. Feedback, next steps.
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/202101/msg00002.html

R: People are using it, I haven’t got any feedback. Nobody has complaint.

L: No news is good news.

III. Subcommittee and sister TC reports
Df: We are making progress on the JLIFF proc. Development. The github repository. It is coming together. Another topic is the message format working group, I think they are close to agree on a data model. I am pushing the idea of conformance levels. One of the deliverables would be an XLIFF 2.X mapping. I figured that google is an Oasis member, when it comes to the actually doing it, I can try to recruit him to our TC.

L: I saw on twitter on linkedin that you published the fifth version of the standard reader.

Df: Yes. It actually contains the updated information (until October 2020). It can be found here: https://multilingual.com/wp-content/uploads/193-Digital-Optimized.pdf#page=53

L: Meeting adjourned.