Subject: RE: [xliff] ref value in translation candidates module element <mtc:match>

Hi Yoshito,

I'm not happy either with allowing <pc> as a holder of annotated text. I just mentioned it because it is a valid container for text spans.

In any case, we need to fix all "ref" attributes providing better examples.

Rodolfo M. Raya
Maxprograms http://www.maxprograms.com

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [xliff] ref value in translation candidates module element
<mtc:match>
From: "Yoshito Umaoka" <yoshito_umaoka@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, April 06, 2021 7:41 pm
To: "Rodolfo M. Raya" <rmraya@maxprograms.com>
Cc: "xliff@lists.oasis-open.org" <xliff@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hi Rodolfo,

>I think we need to modify current specs and clarify the three different "ref" attributes.

Yes, I agree.

>I'm ignoring the case where the <source> of <mtc:macth> points to the whole content or a fragment of <target> in <segment>. I don't think this should be allowed but there may be some use cases.

Right. I don't think many people including me to <mtc:match> pointing to a fragment of target segment. But I can imagine legitimate use case - For example, if a tentative translation is provided, and the translation is already used for different source text in the past, then translator may change translation to distinguish one from another. In general, I agree that this use case is practically ignorable.

-Yoshito