Subject: notes/metadata for all files in a single XLIFF

Dear all,

We're developing translation service framework using XLIFF 2. Our implementation extracts content for translation from multiple files in a same group into a single XLIFF document. The XLIFF specification allows notes or metadata specified at <file> level, but there is no way to specify such information for all files. In our implementation, we need to carry such information applicable to a group of files out of XLIFF content, or duplicate them to all files.

Personally, I don't see any technical issues with supporting <notes> and <mda:metadata> immediately under <xliff>. By doing so, XLIFF adopters can manage notes/data shared by multiple files easily.

Does anyone know why XLIFF specification does not support this use case? I guess this topic might be discussed in the past.

Thanks,
Yoshito