xmile message

Subject: Re: [xmile] default XML value proposal

The purpose of the default values is to avoid cluttering the XML file with lots of attributes when the majority of objects use the same value.  This dramatically increases readability and also reduces the file size.

The default values do not have to be implied.  We can define a XMILE-wide style sheet that contains all the default values and we probably want to do this so we both are explicit about them and have a single place to review them.  It can also help the implementation by automatically providing the defaults when attributes are added to the spec.

It is true it would not hurt to reverse the sense of some of the boolean values that now default to true.  In the display especially, these are (unfortunately) historic rather than carefully conceived.  Changing a "show" tag to a "hide" tag is pretty clear and not a major change.  I believe there are some cases, though, where it may be harder to come up with a meaningful name.  I am also pretty sure that we cannot default numbers to zero in all cases, but we can look into it.

As we think about these changes, we should also consider the impact on converting existing XMILE models.  Broad changes will make this more difficult than minor changes.

Karim