xmile message

Subject: Re: [xmile] Very rough draft of section 5: Display and interface structure

Hi folks,

I'm just reading this for detail now, and have some comments:

general:
    when specifying a value in pixels (such as border-width), we should just use the double-precision value without appending 'px' to it.
    should we refer to 'points' rather than pixels?  Points being similarly defined as they are here:
https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/2ddrawing/conceptual/drawingprintingios/graphicsdrawingoverview/graphicsdrawingoverview.html
under 'Points vs Pixels'.  Basically - points are a unit of measurement in the view coordinate space, that doesn't necessarily correspond to a display pixel.  I don't feel strongly about this, but think we should be consistent one way or another.

5.3:
  - define what predefined sizes are in terms of x,y? I guess it probably changes per entity type.

5.3.1.1:
  - UIDs in iThink are not ints right now ("pad_91183044" for example).  Is this something where iThink should change, or do we want the spec to specify that UIDs are strings, rather than ints.

5.4.1:
  - border: define what "thick" and "thin" are in pixels
  - border: remove 'thick-thin', or make its implementation optional.
  - z-index: specify that the value is a 32-bit signed integer (or something different).  maximum is INT32_MAX ((1 << 31) - 1).
  - what is default for text-align, font-color, text-background, font-size, padding, color, background?

5.4.2:
  - need to think more about this.

In general its looking like a great start!