xmile message

Subject: XML namespace / date format

Hi,

Gary and I have been meeting on the XML schema.  We've found a few small inconsistencies.  I'd like to change the spec on several small points.  Anyone object?

(1) The namespace in the spec is
http://www.systemdynamics.org/XMILE

I'd like to see it be
http://www.systemdynamics.org/XMILE-1.0

or maybe
http://www.systemdynamics.org/XMILE-2014

This will let us version the namespace later.  I've seen this approach in most XML standards.

(2) The format for dates in the spec is

Date created:  <created> w/“mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm Xm”, where “X” is “a” or “p”
(leading zeroes suppressed)

I'd prefer switching to the XML type xsd:date and xsd:dateTime types, which are based on ISO-8601
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

I'm a big fan of this format.  It's easily computer parseable and human readable.  For simple dates it is
2014-05-29

for dates and times you append 24 hour time after a "T".
2014-05-29T13:27:00

and for time zone you add "Z" for GMT or an offset for local time
2014-05-29T13:27:00Z
2014-05-29T13:27:00-08:00

We don't need to define all this in the spec, just reference the ISO-8601 format and specify xsd:date or xsd:dateTime in the schema.

Any objections?

WILL
--
William Glass-Husain   /forio  |  +1 (415) 440 7500 x89  |  forio.com