xmlconf message

Subject: Reinitialization of the XML Conformance TC

  REINITIALIZING THE XML Conformance TC

      In order to ensure a sound OASIS technical committee process
      in accordance with the OASIS bylaws, the OASIS Board of
      Directors has created an Advisory Committee on Technical
      Committees.  Consisting of the chairs of the TCs, the ACTC
      is empowered to create OASIS technical committees through
      formal appointment of members.

      However, the appointment of specific members with voting
      rights in each TC has the procedural implication that a
      majority of those members must be present in meetings and
      phone conferences for a TC to conduct formal business, and a
      majority of the appointed members is required for decisions
      made by mail vote.  Thus, it is necessary to distinguish
      between the participants in each TC who can actually commit
      to attending meetings and phone conferences and members who
      wish only to track the progress of the TC and participate in
      mail discussions.  For this procedural reason, only OASIS
      members who can actually attend meetings can be appointed
      voting members of a TC.

      Please note that this formal distinction does not change the
      current composition of this mail list.  The primary
      difference is that a subset of this list will now be able to
      pass formal resolutions on behalf of the group in accordance
      with the OASIS bylaws.

      In order to be considered for designation as a voting member
      of this TC, you need to read the following description of
      our estimated schedule and deliverables and then decide
      whether to respond with a request to be formally appointed.
      Please have your response, if any, back to me by April 17, 2000.
      I will submit a list of nominees to the ACTC shortly thereafter.

         Mary Brady
         NIST, Standards and Conformance Testing
         mbrady@nist.gov
         (301) 975-4094

      CALL FOR NOMINATIONS: OASIS XML Conformance TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

      The OASIS XML Conformance Technical Committee exists to
      provide a forum where XML vendors, content providers, and
      users can discuss issues that are pertinent to XML conformance.
      The objective of the Technical Committee is to develop tests
      to improve the quality of XML processors and determine if
      XML implementations and/or XML instances adhere to the
      XML 1.0 Recommendation.

      Mary Brady, NIST,  is chair(s) of the TC.

      The proposed deliverables of the TC are as follows:

         * Address comments against existing test suite.
         * Review additional contributions for inclusion in
            test suite.
         * Release final version of test suite.

      Over the next year, the TC is expected to meet at

      * XML Europe '2000, Paris, June 15, 2000
      * OASIS Summer Workshop, August 2000
      * XML '2000, Boston, MA, December 2000

      The TC also intends to meet regularly by phone,
      NIST having agreed to provide phone conference services.

      Upon reinitialization, the TC will consist of a set of
      voting members and a set of non-voting observers.  The
      voting members will be those who have been appointed by the
      ACTC from among persons nominating themselves in response to
      this call.  Note that voting members must be able to promise
      attendance at meetings in order to meet quorum requirements.
      Therefore, OASIS members wishing to track and comment upon
      the work of the TC in the mailing list but not to attend its
      meetings regularly should simply remain on this mailing list
      but not apply for voting membership.

      Members of this list willing to commit to voting participation in
      the OASIS XML Conformance Technical Committee are
      hereby requested to respond to this list no later than April 17,
     2000 with the following statement:

         I agree with the purpose of the XML Conformance TC as stated
         above.

         I understand that OASIS technical committees regularly
         meet in person or by phone and that participation in the
         XML Conformance TC will require me to attend most of its
         meetings.  Based on the estimated meeting schedule
         given above, I certify that I have the means and the interest
         to attend such meetings and that I intend to do so.

         I understand that the TC cannot transact business in the
         absence of a quorum or take action by mail ballot without
         the active participation of its members and that
         therefore failure to attend meetings and vote in mail
         ballots will result in my removal from the committee.  I
         promise to submit a letter of resignation to the chair or
         chairs of the committee if in the future I find myself
         unable to participate actively in its work.

         [name]
         [affiliation]
         [email address]
         [phone number]