xmlvoc-comment message

Subject: [xmlvoc-comment] xmlvoc: Requirements (V0.1 Draft): Defining Core,Why not XTM?

Holger,

Great first step!

I think I "know" what is meant by "core XML standards and technologies"
but would an initial listing better set the scope of our work?

Suggested XML standard/technology listing (partial):

CSS (?)
DOM
MathML
Non-W3C schema formalisms (RelaxNG, Schematron)
RDF
SAX
SGML
SMIL
SOAP
SVG
XForms
XHTML(?)
XLink
XML 1.0
XML Base
XML Encryption
XForms
XML Fragment Interchange
XML Inclusions
XML Information Set
XML Key Management
XML Namespaces
XML Query
XML Schema (parts 0, 1, 2)
XML Signature
XPath
XPointer
XSL
XSLT
XTM (as part of ISO 13250)

(SGML is an obvious include but what about DSSSL?)

Curious about (under 2. Requirements in brief, same comment applies to
#8 in the same section)

4. The core vocabulary shall be documented in XHTML and should be
documented in XTM.

Not sure I understand why we would mandate the use of XHTML and try to
use XTM?

Would prefer as follows:

Proposed #4: The core vocabulary shall be documented in XTM and may
appear in other formats.

Proposed #8: The recommendations should contain an example of such an
extension. The extension example should be provided in XTM format and
may be provided in other formats.

My reasoning is that it will provide an incentive to use topic maps,
particularly since several members of this group could use such a
vocabulary to demonstrate their wares to a primarily XML aware audience.
Once people see it as relevant to areas in which they already have an
interest and provides superior navigation/finding over current tools,
they will have a reason to learn topic map technology. (Sort of a "proof
of the pudding is in the eating.")

More intangible reason is that it looks odd that we are promoting the
use of topic maps but do not require them for our own work product? "So,
if TMs are so great, why aren't you using one?" sort of question, which
I would find hard to answer. Particularly since we are building a
resource that is to be used by TMs.

Well, time is almost up (12:00 GMT) and I need to leave for main office
meetings. :-(

Looking forward to the call tomorrow and seeing everyone in Barcelona!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
Director of Research and Development