xmlvoc message

Subject: Re: [xmlvoc] Def: character-set

* Patrick Durusau

| Current definition: A collection of elements used to represent
| textual information.

This one isn't wrong, but I think it's too vague. The TechWeb one is
OK, but the FOLDOC one is just wrong.

How about this:

  A set of abstract characters with an integer value for each
  character, which is used to represent it. An abstract character
  corresponds closely to the common-sense concept of a letter, but
  also includes punctuation, digits, whitespace, and other special
  symbols. Abstract characters are independent of any specific visual
  design, which is left for fonts to provide.

If we want more information we can add this:

  The integer values are usually chosen to allow character sequences
  to be efficiently encoded as a sequence of bytes, and to ensure that
  the resulting sequences have desirable byte signatures, especially
  in order to ensure compatibility with other character sets and
  encodings.

Reactions? The biggest issue is perhaps whether this is at all
understandable. :)