xmlvoc message

Subject: Plan for Progress in the TCs

Greetings!

Well, we are making good progress in ISO on topic maps but I think we
would all agree that progress in the OASIS TCs has fallen on hard times.

I have asked the OASIS office for suggestions and/or guidance and the
following was their best suggestion (under current OASIS rules):

Since the memberships of the three TCs, Published Subjects, GeoLang and
XMLVoc, are almost identical, it appears we have may spread ourselves
too thin. Does not mean that the work of those TCs should not continue,
but since both GeoLang and XMLVoc depend upon Published Subjects, should
they be separate TCs?

The suggested course of action was to hold teleconferences (can all be
on one call if the memberships in fact identical) to do the following:

1. Dissolve the GeoLang TC in favor of continuing work in PubSubj.

2. Dissolve the XMLVoc TC in favor of continuing work in PubSubj.

3. Decide in PubSubj whether to create subcommittees at this point to
continue the work of GeoLang and XMLVoc. (Could always be created, as
well as any other subcommittees at some later point.)

4. Discuss in PubSubj how to update the charter in terms of new
deliverables and what we would like to do for XML 2004.

As the presentations over the last several XML conferences demonstrates,
interest in topic maps is on the upswing and I think we would all agree
that published subjects are one of the obvious 'first contact' areas for
other technologies with topic maps.

I think we have a very good opportunity to attract new members to our
OASIS effort, which will greatly ease the burden on the core group of
members who have been involved in this effort.

The SBL would be willing to sponsor the conference calls, and may I
suggest that we say the 29th of October as a likely date?

Thoughts/comments?

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick

--