xri-comment message

Subject: Public Comment

Comment from: connolly@w3.org

Name: Dan Connolly
Title: IETF Liaison
Regarding Specification: XRI

tried to send this earlier; can't find it in the archive, so trying agin via this form...

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: April 22, 2005 3:51:44 PM EDT
To: xri-comment@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: xri: registration with IETF/IANA?

"The purpose of this committee is to define a URI-compatible identifier
scheme and resolution protocol that meets these requirements."
  -- http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xri/charter.php

The next sentence is confusing...

"The XRI scheme will be a superset of the URI scheme defined by RFC 2396
and RFC 2396bis."

Does that mean that every URI is also an XRI? Or that xri: is
designed to be a new URI scheme?

xri: is not registered...

http://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes

The process for making a new URI scheme is
"IETF consensus action" i.e. the normal IETF process,
starting with Internet Drafts and such. I don't see
any proposals for xri in Internet Drafts nor relevant
mailing lists.

I think IETF registration should get started, at least
in the form of an Internet Draft, before the OASIS membership
is asked to endorse XRIs and before they're deployed
at any scale.

Oh... I see a launch has already happened...

"Identity Commons commenced its early registration program for i-names
on October, 25th 2004"
 -- http://www.idcommons.net/

and I see a press release
http://idcommons.net/press/iname-launch-2004-10-25.html

... though I don't see technical details of how xri: names
are actually used.