xri-comment message

Subject: RE: What does XRD do that ISO 13250 does not offer already?

XRD is not a new proposal, but a revision of the XRDS format which is widely deployed within the OpenID and XRI communities. XRD attempts to clean up the XRDS model and simplify it to increase adoption and interoperability.

While other works provide similar or overlapping features such as ISO 13250 and POWDER, both are significantly more complex. XRD is explicitly designed to be concise, trivial to implement, and requires as few dependencies on other technology.

To answer your question, no, existing work fails the simplicity level required by the XRD use cases. Over the past year the XRI TC has worked to remove many features from the spec which increased its complexity without significantly improving its usability.

EHL

From: Peter F Brown (Pensive SA) [mailto:Peter@pensive.eu]
Sent: Sunday, November 08, 2009 3:58 PM
To: xri-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi:

In evaluating any proposed new standard, my first concern is: have the requirements set out been met already by another existing standard?

I am very familiar with the ISO 13250 “Topic Maps” standard and it seems that all of the constructs proposed in XRD are already covered by this work.

What arguments can the XRD authors/sponsors advance to convince me of the need for the spec?

I look forward to your reply. Many thanks for your attention

Best regards,

Peter