xri-comment message

Subject: Re: [xri-comment] Comments on Extensible Resource Descriptor (XRD) Version 1.0 Working Draft 11

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Joe Gregorio <joe@bitworking.org> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Will Norris <will@willnorris.com> wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2010, at 10:44 AM, Joe Gregorio wrote:
>
>> I've reviewed the XRD 1.0 spec and have the following issues:
>>
>> 1. Expires  http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/35678/xrd-1.0-wd11.html.#element.expires
>>
>>  "This dateTime value indicates the time instant after which the
>> document is no longer valid."
>>
>>  There is no explanation of what 'valid' means. I presume it is not
>> used in the context of XML, so
>>  it is not referring to XML validity. Should none of the information
>> in the XRD document be
>>  used after the expiration time? Or only the signed information?
>>
>>  What is the relationship between XML validity and this expires
>> validity? That is, if I receive an
>>  XRD document that does not conform to the schema, obviously that
>> means it is XML invalid,
>>  but does that XML invalidity mean that the document is also invalid
>> in the 'expires' sense?
>
> I'm actually working on this now.  I noticed we had a slight inconsistency in the spec, as to whether the document was still valid (in the expiration sense) at the exact time instant specified by <Expires>.  In clarifying that, I've also changed the wording:
>
>    The <Expires> element contains a dateTime value which indicates the time instant at which the document has expired.

Avoiding the word 'valid' does avoid the ambiguity with XML validity.
On the other
hand, it does not answer the question of what, in this case, 'expired'
means. Should
none of the information in the XRD file be used? Should a client try
to retrieve a
fresher copy?

I agree with Joe that the spec should state what the client (XRD consumer) either SHOULD or MUST do when the XRD has expired. I believe the simple answer is that the client MUST retrieve a new copy.

=Drummond