Subject: RE: Closure on I18N approach (was RE: [xri-editors] Status on draft spec)

I am basically with it. My point was just that in the last edition, it
was stated that character set and thus reserved and unreserved character
set will basically come from RFC2396. I think it should come from IRI
instead (for obvious reason).

I am going to work on the section today.

Nat

-----Original Message-----
From: Drummond Reed [mailto:drummond.reed@onename.com]
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2003 2:46 AM
To: Wachob, Gabe; Sakimura, Nat; Dave McAlpin;
xri-editors@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Closure on I18N approach (was RE: [xri-editors] Status on draft
spec)

Nat,

First, +1 on Gabe's reply (glad I read it before I typed my own).

Second, glad you are back from your trip. From a process standpoint,
with Gabe's submission of the resolution portion of the spec, which
DaveM is incorporating into the main body of the doc today, the Encoding
and I18N sections remain the last to be filled in.

Which means closing on our overall approach to this issue is the next
major decision at hand.

Third, to reinforce one point that DaveM and I have been dealing with
extensively with regard to RFC 2396bis: any IETF spec that is at
Internet Draft status can't be referenced normatively by the XRI spec.
That's the case with 2396bis, and it's also the case with IRI. So if we
want to use the IRI approach, we'd have to, as Gabe says, incorporate
its substantive content directly.

What do you suggest is the best approach?

=Drummond