Subject: RE: [xri-editors] wd-09g

close to a votable draft >very soon and if you have feedback, especially
if its meaty, getting it in soon will be most >effective.

Gabe is right. I haven't received anything from Peter or Nat yet. See
below for where I'm at in the final edit. If I don't get anything
quickly (i.e., tomorrow), it will be passed by. See the end of this
message for my recommendation for an Editor's call on Thursday
afternoon.

>Drummond, whats our target date for sending out a "please vote on this
draft for committee-spec" >announcement?

It was going to be this Thursday. And tonight, Tuesday, was my
self-imposed deadline for posting wd-09g for us to vote on. And although
I've spent 20+ hours editing it over the past four days, I'm not done
yet. It's been a significantly bigger job than I estimated.

What's taking so long? Primarily it's restructuring disjoint sections by
different authors into one smooth flowing document that reads like a
polished spec. I started last Thursday by reading and editing Gabe's
resolution section from top to bottom, then spent Friday afternoon
working with him harmonizing terminology and closing open issues about
how that section tied into the Intro and Syntax sections.

Yesterday and the first half of today I went back and edited the Intro
and Syntax sections. Besides fixing all the open issues in the glossary,
the parts that took the most work were updating the start of the ABNF to
support the "absolute-xri" and "relative-xri" productions necessary to
support the Resolution section, then restructuring and smoothing out the
Escaping sections so they were easier to follow (the logic there is all
first-rate, but the structure and text needed a lot of work.)

So late today I returned to the Resolution section and, rereading it
again, I believe it too could benefit from some similar restructuring to
shorten it and remove several patches of redundant text (for example, by
introducing the Identifier Authority Descriptor sooner).

However I'm running out of steam tonight, so I'm going to need to do
that tomorrow. Following that, here's the punchlist of what else remains
before we will be ready for a final vote:

* Edit and add any other supporting text to Section 4 on Security and
Data Protection.

* Check all the references in Section 5.

* Update the Collected ABNF in Appendix A.

* Draft text for Appendix B on the $ identifiers (this is a 4 hour job
by itself).

* Draft text for Appendix C on Transforming HTTP URIs to XRIs (we have
so much about this in the spec now that this should only be about a page
- any volunteers for this?)

* Update the schema tag names in Appendix D (I'm hoping Gabe will do
this).

* Edit Appendix E on Using Cross-references to Specify Data Types During
Local Access (and shorten the name!)

* Draft Appendix F (Acknowledgements)

* Update Appendix E (Revision History)

* Close the remaining open issues in Appendix I

* Close 7 TO DOs I have been marking in the text (some of which overlap
with Appendix I). Several of these require input from Nat because they
are I18N issues.

Whew. It's a long list. The reality is we're not ready for a vote this
Thursday. If we bust butt all this week, we should be able to be ready
by the following Thursday. That's my recommendation.

Secondly, I recommend an Editor's call this Thursday afternoon at 3pm PT
to discuss the remaining open issues and final closure schedule over the
next week. In prep for this call I'll post 09g where it's at by the end
of the day tomorrow.

Gabe, can you or Dave set up this call?

=Drummond