Subject: RE: [xri-editors] LDAP or DSML as local access protocol

The way I see local resolution working with LDAP is that instead of doing the HTTP stuff we have defined in the spec you would issue an LDAP_search with the DN set to the entry you are interested and the scope set to LDAP_SCOPE_BASE and the filter function set to objectclass=*. This should return all the attributes for that entry, using the ldap_results call. A couple of cool thing about LDAP when it comes to secure resolution it allows for binding to the LDAP server using standard credentials, it also supports a modification function using the same credentials and finally it is a fairly well understood widely deployed service.

One other note is that DSML is not an access protocol and is used for representing the results of a directory lookup, I don't know if anyone has developed a web services directory access protocol.

John...

-----Original Message-----
From: Wachob, Gabe
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2003 9:05 AM
To: 'Drummond Reed'; XRI Editors (E-mail)

Well, if you don't define the LDAP query, then you can't have any interoperability and therefore whats the purpose of "defining" an LDAP local access protocol?

To put it concretely, if I have an XRI of "@example/foo.bar", and @example identifies a particular LDAP server, then what LDAP query do I perform? If thats not specified, then a local access protocol binding really hasn't been defined..

	-Gabe